STURBRIDGE, Mass., 20 Sept. 2007. The Department of Homeland Security, Division of Customs and Border Protection, has purchased 78 units of the FreedomView 680, a hand-held, portable inspection device from Optim Inc., a manufacturer of endoscopic products. The FreedomView enables inspectors to look for contraband in cars and trucks and air cargo on the Canadian and Mexican borders, as the newly expanded U.S.-Mexico Drug War plan is nears completion.
The FreedomView LED Fiberscope combines a high-intensity LED light source with a flexible, insertion shaft that can be fully immersed in water, gasoline, and diesel fuel. It provides fast and accurate remote imaging, enabling visual inspections in hard-to-reach places, including: car engines, gas tanks, jet engine turbines, piping, and storage compartments like cargo holds.
The scope generated significant interest at the recent Paris Air Show because of its portability, weight, brightness factor, and ease of use on the tarmac. A video or digital camera can also be attached to the scope's eyepiece to record findings for future use. It can expose even the smallest crack in an engine turbine so that mechanics can address the problem immediately, potentially avoiding major damage, costly repairs, and in worst cases, a catastrophic event.
The Canada Border Services Agency is using the FreedomView at ports, airports, and along the U.S. border.
FreedomView's LED Fiberscope comes in 2 diameters: 4/0 mm and 6.0 mm and 4 lengths: 20"/40"/60"/80". Other features include:
- Sleek, state-of-the-art aluminum handle fully integrated with LED light s source and all controls (on/off switch, light intensity & tip articulation).
- High-intensity LED light source (5500 Kelvin/natural sunlight quality) for exceptional visibility. No bulb replacements necessary
- Eliminates need for separate external light sources and cables
- Lightweight, completely portable design (1.5 pounds)
- Two-way articulation at tip with 90-degree viewing option (6mm only).
- Pulse-width modulated lithium-ion battery (rechargeable) for maximum battery life
- Rugged Tungsten braid construction -- fully immersible in water, gasoline and diesel fuel