ALEXANDRIA, Va., 11 Nov. 2013. Modern Technology Solutions Inc. (MTSI), a provider of systems engineering services in the government unmanned aircraft system (UAS) domain, has expanded into the commercial UAS marketplace.
The emerging commercial UAS market, estimated by various sources at a potential $10 billion within three years, has been inhibited by the lack of a regulatory structure for integrating UAS into the National Airspace System (NAS), as well as the absence of established Standards for airspace-enabling UAS technologies, says a company spokesperson.
MTSI’s UAS expertise spans multiple government agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and the intelligence community.
“MTSI is strategically positioned to leverage our combined UAS capabilities into the Commercial UAS marketplace,” MTSI President Kevin Robinson comments. “Over the past decade, our familiarity with all varieties of UAS platforms, collaboration on dozens of Federal agency and Industry UAS efforts, and broad UAS systems engineering, integration, test, operations, and certification expertise has created a convergence of capabilities and experience which we will now apply to rapidly develop emerging commercial UAS markets (U.S. and international) with carefully selected technology and investment partners.”
MTSI products in the UAS domain include: the DoD’s Unmanned Systems Roadmap, DoD’s UAS Airspace Integration Roadmap, and the Federal UAS Aviation Rulemaking Committee’s Implementation Plan for Integration of Civil UAS in the NAS, among others. MTSI’s trademarked Sense and Avoid Flight Encounter Simulation Toolset (SAFEST) provides the capability to analyze critical UAS Sense and Avoid (SAA) issues, the linchpin of UAS NAS integration.
MTSI’s UAS capabilities include:
- Requirements Analysis and Concept Development
- Systems Engineering and Integration
- Airspace Modeling and Simulation
- Operational and System Safety Analysis
- Standards Development
- Flight Test and Demonstrations
- DoD and Civil Airworthiness Certification
- Data Link and Network Information Assurance
- Strategic Plans, Roadmaps, and Policy Development
In the Commercial and Civil UAS marketplace, MTSI will offer critical policy, regulatory, technical, and operational expertise to help their Commercial and Civil UAS industry partners. Services will include:
- Commercial Photogrammetry for Precision Agriculture, Oil and Gas, and other industries
- Requirements Analysis, CONOPS, and Acquisition Support for Public Safety and First Responders
- Guidance for evolving Federal, State, and Local UAS regulations, including Privacy issues
- Guidance and technical support for Small UAS Airworthiness
- Guidance for customer Independent Research & Development (IR&D)
- Modeling & Simulation and Operational Analysis of UAS concepts, including SAA concepts
- Business Case Analysis for Commercial Operations
- Small UAS Training and System Safety
- Turn-Key Flight Test and Demonstrations