FORT HOOD, Texas, 29 Aug. 2009. The first-ever Robotics Rodeo, which encourages the development of autonomous systems in support of warfighters, is drawing the world's leading robotic designers and builders to the Texas-based event, hosted by Fort Hood's III Corps and the U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development, and Engineering Center (TARDEC).
Robotics Rodeo takes place Sept. 1 through 3 on the grounds of the world's largest U.S. military base, Fort Hood.
"During the inaugural Robotics Rodeo, we're looking to motivate the industry, educate developers and observe key members of the robotics technology community," explains TARDEC director Dr. Grace M. Bochenek. "We are encouraging the development of autonomous systems supporting warfighter operational needs, and we are energized by the exceptional line-up of companies joining us for the Rodeo."
The Robotics Rodeo is not a competition, but a market research event to determine what industry technologies will potentially benefit the Army's robotic systems programs.
More than 140 members of the science and technology community will attend. In addition, several hundred soldiers with explosive ordnance disposal, route clearance, logistics, combat arms, and recent combat experience will provide their expertise.
The Robotics Rodeo will be separated into two areas, an Extravaganza and the Robotic Technology Observation, Demonstration and Discussion (RTOD2).
Companies scheduled to participate include:
· Adaptive Materials Inc.
· Applied Research Associates Inc.
· Artemis Inc.
· Autonomous Solutions
· Boeing Integrated Defense Systems
· Cobham Surveillance – DTC Products
· Energid smartCodec
· Elbit Systems of America
· Esterline Control Systems
· General Dynamics Robotic Systems
· Howe and Howe Technologies Inc.
· IBEO Automobile Sensor
· iRobot Corporation
· John Deere
· Kairos Autonomi
· Lockheed Martin Autonomous Systems
· National Robotics Engineering Center
· Northrop Grumann/Remotec
· Oshkosh Defense
· Preferred Chassis Fabrication Inc.
· QinetiQ North America
· RE2 Inc.
· Sarnoff Corporation
· Seegrid Corporation
· Southwest Research Institute
· Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific
· TORC Technologies
· Ultra Measurement Systems Inc.
· University of Michigan
· U.S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
· U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center